Should we be concerned about high-choline plant foods such as broccoli producing the same toxic TMAO that results from eating high-choline animal foods such as eggs?
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org). Support NutritionFacts.org with a donation at
That was a fun video to record. Can you hear the frustration in my voice reading paper after paper proposing these ridiculous (but profitable!) answers when the safe, simple, side-effect free solution was staring them in the face the whole time? Makes me think of so many parallels, to the least of which are:
• How Not to Die from Heart Disease (
• How Not to Die from Diabetes (
• How Not to Die from High Blood Pressure (
For more on TMAO, the “smoking gun” of diet-microbiome-disease interactions, see:
• Eggs, Choline, and Cancer (httpss://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-choline-and-cancer/)
• Carnitine, Choline, Cancer, and Cholesterol: The TMAO Connection (
• Egg Industry Response to Choline and TMAO (
• How to Develop a Healthy Gut Ecosystem (httpss://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-develop-a-healthy-gut-ecosystem/)
• How to Treat Heart Failure and Kidney Failure with Diet (
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here:
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
• HOW NOT TO DIE:
• Podcast :